Tuesday 3 July 2012

Fearnot by name...Fearful by nature...or am I?

Hi blog :) I've been absent. But now I'm back.

I'm not sure for how long or if I can be bothered writing down all that comes to mind (there wouldn't be enough room) but I can tell you what's been happening as of late.

I faced a fear. Some might say it was an irrational fear. I went to the dentist.
Technically it was the pain and swelling that made me go but in the end, I made the decision.  It had only been 14 years since my last visit.

3 years ago I married The Rock and on that day my wisdom teeth decided to make announce their arrival. My fiance's aunt said "Ooh, maybe it means something...wisdom teeth appear when you're not sure of something"...yes, with regard to her, I wasn't sure about the words coming out of her intelligent face.

So one of the wisdoms was putting pressure on a tooth that had lost it's filling. I took copious nurofen (big ups to them!!) and the pain went away. Then 2 weeks ago we went to CHCH for a holy reunion of sorts and again the teeth started singing...It's here that I'll go back to the start.

When I was a young teen I was exposed to the biggest house of horrors you could imagine. It's where dentists train to drill, fill and unintentionally strike fear into the heart of man, woman and child. While I was enjoying a moment of anticipation, one of these students was about to stick a teeny needle into my gums...I'm not sure what happened next but the needle was through my cheek and Novocaine was squirting past my eye and onto the floor. The student apologised, my eye, cheek, mouth and one ear was numb so I let her finish the drilling and filling before fleeing the building and never taking a backward glance.

To the present day...and the holy reunion. The Rock and Firecracker are at the First Communion and I'm in Hell expecting the worst and being teased by this young dentist about my fear...in one sitting he pulled out the offending but otherwise beautiful wisdom tooth and performed a route canal procedure on the empty tooth. Apart from the injections, I didn't feel a thing!!! Couldn't believe it...so (having had such a positive experience) when we got back home I made another appointment at the House of Horrors and had another tooth drilled and filled. Just yesterday I met with my new dentist and had X-rays, a bit of a scrape and was told to come back in a couple of weeks to have my temporary fillings replaced to the tune of a mere $1450.00 (ohmygosh!!) but aside from the money I'm looking forward to getting it all sorted.

Yes, each time I go to see the dentist my bowels turn to water and I become slightly pale but when it's all over I feel amazing! Because I did it!! Next up is the orthodontist to help get my bite sorted...I look forward to being able to bite sandwiches again like a normal person :P

Keep shining...and smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment